Sunday, November 8, 2009

OMA Winter Nationals Round 1


November 8, 2009




Hanging Limb, TN




The first round of the new OMA Winter Nationals Series was in Hanging Limb, Tennessee. The new series is an addition to Bill Guesses OMA National Series. It is centered in the Tennessee, Kentucky, and Alabama area. The early November day was in the 60's and very clear.

Being a harescramble it is set up on a 2 hour plus 1 lap format. The course was set up fairly fast, with a lot of fast logging road sections that transferred into rolling hills and some technical woods. It was a really good mix of terrain.

The afternoon race started at 1pm. The Light B and Heavy B classes were combined on the start. The flag flew and I hammered into the first corner getting a mid-pack start. The first mile was very fast and dusty. As I crested a small hill, the bike hit a large rock and I found myself on the ground. After coming to my senses, I realized that my goggles were missing and the handlebars and exhaust were bent. Finishing the lap I tried to adjust the bike. I remounted and put in another lap, but the bike was too mangled to push. I then retired from the event.

After an unsatisfying day on the trail I tried to quickly put it behind me. Even after such a horrible showing I'm thankful for the support of great sponsors: My parents, my girlfriend Jordan, Clay Hedgepath, Mark Kariya, KTM, KTM Powerwear, KTM Powerparts, Rekluse, Ride PG.com, Clockwork KTM , Cycra, Shock Doctor, Dunlop, Motorex, Trace Bikes, and FAHQ/Black Rainbow.


No comments:

Post a Comment